One of the most remarkable things happened in class today. I made an assumption about a student and it led to ridiculousness on my part.
We were to grade a paper. As a class, we gave our grades and I learned I have a pretty good assessment of grading papers, as I gave the grade a 'C+' which is what the majority of the class did, too. However, because of the way it was written and because of my own experience, I assumed the age and class of the student, thinking only of my own personal experience and jumped to all kinds of conclusions.
Granted, if I saw the student, I could better assess their age. However, just them speaking in class and handing in work does not make me the expert on their story and current situation. I learned a great deal from this exercise, as I believe compassion is the utmost important thing in a teacher/student relationship. If there is not compassion, there is no transmission of truth. Trust will be broken and I believe most students will shutdown to an instructor without compassion and just work to please; not to learn, as they walk on eggshells.
It's important for me to know my students and not make assumptions based on their work. Although I made a mistake in class, I learned a powerful lesson and I know in my mistakes is where I gain the most.
No comments:
Post a Comment