Groupwork. When I did this teaching my first class, it went over like a lead balloon. The article we read talked about the "leaderless" group and that group was the one with one student who took over and controlled everything an acted as the Napoleon, if you will, while all the other students didn't participate.
When I taught in groups the first time, after reading this, I discovered why it wasn't successful: I was the Napoleon!
Groupwork works, it just needs to be lead well, and I didn't do a good job of that. Why? Because I micromanaged. I got caught up in wanting it to go perfectly that I began to control each group, not allowing them to develop their own style. This stifled the entire room.
In wanting to be laid-back at first, I allowed students to choose their own groups - after this class hearing from peers, I understand this now as a mistake. Then, after being so-called laid-back, once the groups started working, I managed instead of encouraged or lead.
So, what will I do in the future? Choose the groups, sometimes assign just two to a group, allow for anyone in the group to speak on behalf of the group and have everyone and every group discuss all the questions; not just assign one question to a group.
And allow for creativity and individuality.
No comments:
Post a Comment